To the Landholder WESTECH Steer Trial
Westech Field Days invites Western Qld beef producers to take part in a feeder steer Pasture and Feedlot performance trial. The trial will take place at “Dunblane”, Barcaldine, commencing 6th Feb, 2017 and concluding at Westech Field Days, with a Luncheon, all results, and technical presentations.
A team of 6 steers will run in the same paddock, under uniform conditions for 14 weeks, then be sold, “over the scales”, Barcaldine to Mort & Co., Grassdale Feedlot for a 100-day feeding program prior to slaughter. All aspects of the steer performance will be monitored, recorded and provided to participants including pasture weight gains, feedlot performance and carcass feedback.
- Collaboration with DAF and Producers,
- Utilising WALK OVER WEIGH and REMOTE PASTURE SENSING Technology Providing participants with Regular updates
- Prizes will be allotted to the teams that perform best in each aspect of the trial
- Westech Steer Trial data – Property Report
- Westech Steer Trial – NIRS Upate Feb17
- Westech Steer Trial –Memo from Tom.
- Westech Steer Trial – Entry Weights and Induction
- Westech Steer Trial – Site Land Condition – 13.02.2017
- Westech Steer Trial – Forage Budget – 13.02.2017
$3000 Prize Pool
Please contact Tom Chandler on 0407511633 / firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to enter a team. Numbers are Limited!
Terms & Conditions
- Nominations close – Friday 20 January 2017.
- Entry Fee –Nil.
- Entries to be 6 vendor bred steers ideally 300-380kgs, 0-2 teeth. Steers may be HGP treated. Each steer to be identified with numbered tag with Vendor or property name.
- All entries to be delivered to Barcaldine by Sunday 5 February 2017.
- 14 week pasture trial will be conducted at ‘Gretel’ Barcaldine. Agistment will be charged at $4/head/week +GST.
- Westech Field Days Committee will organise NLIS transfers.
- All entries will be inducted Mon 6 February 2017. All will receive standard animal health treatment.
- Initial weight will be taken 2 weeks after arrival to standardize conditions.
- Pasture trial end- Sunday 14 May 2017 Final weight taken. Steers will be delivered to Barcaldine saleyards for sale to Mort & Co Grassdale Feedlot Dalby. Elders Barcaldine will conduct sale with commission, agistment & saleyard fees to be deducted from sale proceeds.
- Mort & Co will feed trial steers as 1 lot providing all feeding & carcass data back to Westech.
- Exhibitors will be invited to attend a luncheon at Westech Field Days on Wednesday 13 September 2017 for presentation/analysis of all trial data & presentation of prizes.
- Prizes will be awarded to best performing team of steers in 4 categories –
- Best paddock weight gain
- Best Feedlot weight gain
- Best carcass results ( grid compliance/ MSA points )
- Best overall ranking
The Steers look great, and the timing couldn’t be better to go onto grain, with a cold change, a failed summer, and a decline in available protein.